Monday, August 24, 2026

BTC Intelligence — Monday, August 24, 2026 — EVENING

As of about 6:07 PM Chicago time, Bitcoin is near $78.9K, up roughly 1.6% over 24 hours. CoinMarketCap shows approximately $78,894, with a 24-hour low near $76,689 and high near $79,970. Reuters independently had BTC at $78,993, +2.05% earlier this afternoon. 

Today’s Highlights

The biggest development since the midday report is that BTC tested almost exactly $80,000 but did not establish acceptance above it. The 24-hour high is about $79,970, followed by a retreat back toward $78.9K. That is a genuine resistance test, not yet a confirmed breakout. 

The second major development is derivatives quality. CoinDesk, citing CoinGlass, reports Bitcoin futures open interest has fallen from 762,000 BTC on August 18 to about 715,000 BTC, a two-month low, even while spot BTC rallied. Annualized funding across BTC and other majors is around 10%, described as bullish but not unusually overheated. This strengthens the case that last week’s surge contained real spot demand and short unwinding rather than simply new leveraged longs piling in. 

That distinction matters. Last week’s roughly $3B short-liquidation event accelerated price upward, but those derivatives closures are not equivalent to $3B of organic spot BTC purchases. CoinDesk explicitly separates declining OI from spot demand and short unwinding. 

ETF Flows — important caution tonight

The previous five completed U.S. ETF sessions remain extremely strong:

Date

Net U.S. spot-BTC ETF flow

Aug. 17

+$297.5M

Aug. 18

+$189.3M

Aug. 19

+$517.2M

Aug. 20

+$606.3M

Aug. 21

+$307.5M

Five-session total

+$1.918B

Farside confirms those values. 

For Monday, August 24, however, Farside currently shows only +$1.4M, entirely from MSBT, while virtually every major fund—including IBIT, FBTC and ARKB—still shows a dash rather than a completed value. 

Therefore:

“Monday ETF flows were only +$1.4M” → premature/misleading.

The current table is incomplete, not evidence that institutional demand disappeared.

Tonight’s final institutional conclusion must remain pending until the major funds populate.

Spot demand / whales / exchange flows

I found no credible new last-24-hour wallet-level evidence sufficient to claim that independent whales bought or sold a specific large quantity today.

The strongest spot-demand evidence instead comes from market structure:

BTC price rose while futures OI fell.

CoinDesk interprets that divergence as consistent with spot buying plus short unwinding, rather than leverage-driven speculation. 

So:

Spot participation: constructive.

ETF-linked institutional demand over the previous week: confirmed strong.

Massive new whale accumulation today: not independently verified.

Specific fresh exchange-netflow number: not sufficiently verified in this run.

Any social-media headline claiming an exact multi-billion-dollar whale purchase today needs traceable wallet or primary on-chain evidence before I would treat it as fact.

Derivatives / Liquidations

The cleanest current derivatives picture is:

BTC futures OI: ~715K BTC
Aug. 18 OI: ~762K BTC
Direction: falling while spot rises
Annualized funding: roughly 10%
30-day BTC implied volatility: about 47%, versus 36% a week earlier. 

The front-end options call/put skew has turned positive, indicating short-dated calls are pricier than puts, but CoinDesk notes mixed options activity, including substantial $70K put volume. Their characterization is “cautious optimism,”which I think is appropriate. 

I do not have a fresh independently cross-checked BTC-only 24-hour liquidation total for this evening, so I will not recycle last week’s figure as if it were live.

This is one area where the evening report remains incomplete.

Strategy / MicroStrategy — confirmed today

Strategy’s August 24 SEC filing settles several circulating claims.

For August 17–23:

Strategy bought zero BTC and sold zero BTC.

Its holdings remain:

840,447 BTC
aggregate acquisition cost: $63.36B
average cost: $75,385/BTC. 

Therefore:

“Saylor bought today’s breakout”

is false based on the official filing.

What Strategy did do is important. It created a new $1.59B “USD Cash” pool, separate from its $5.10B USD Reserve. Strategy explicitly states that USD Cash may be used for future Bitcoin purchases, stock/preferred repurchases, debt actions or other treasury purposes. 

Reuters independently verified the new $1.6B liquidity pool and its potential use for future BTC purchases. 

That is future buying capacity, not evidence of a purchase today.

Macro — picture changed slightly this afternoon

The dollar recovered somewhat today. Reuters reports the dollar index rose about 0.17% to 98.99 after new Iran sanctions and Canadian tariff developments, while BTC still gained approximately 2.05%. 

That is mildly constructive for Bitcoin: BTC remained strong even as the dollar stopped falling.

Treasury policy remains the major macro narrative. Reports today suggested Treasury could potentially use part of its roughly $1 trillion General Account to finance longer-duration bond buybacks rather than issuing additional short-term bills. Reuters stresses that this is reporting around possible Treasury action, not a completed new program announcement. 

And the correction remains essential:

Treasury bond buybacks are not Federal Reserve QE.

Claims such as “the Fed restarted QE” remain misleading.

Federal Reserve / Jackson Hole risk

This is becoming the most important macro risk for BTC this week.

Fed Chair Kevin Warsh speaks Friday at Jackson Hole. Reuters reports inflation remains above the Fed’s 2% target, several policymakers are concerned that delaying hikes could force sharper increases later, and bond-market stress has raised pressure on Warsh to clarify the Fed’s position. 

For BTC, the risk path is straightforward:

hawkish Warsh / hotter inflation → yields and dollar potentially higher → BTC pressure

versus

less-hawkish Warsh / concern over financial conditions → renewed support for scarce assets.

The market also has PCE inflation, income/spending, consumer confidence and second-quarter GDP data ahead this week. 

Regulation / institutional developments

I found no newly enacted U.S. crypto law this evening.

The broad regulatory direction remains increasingly crypto-friendly, but:

CLARITY Act passed → false.

Comprehensive crypto market-structure law finalized → false.

No fresh U.S. custody announcement in the last several hours appears large enough to explain today’s BTC move.

The main institutional developments remain ETF flows and Strategy’s new treasury-liquidity structure.

Mining / on-chain network health

Bitcoin’s network remains healthy.

CoinWarz’s latest snapshot puts hashrate around 889 EH/s, up about 5% day over day, though still down roughly 10.9% over seven days. Recent average block time is approximately 10 minutes 10 seconds, essentially normal versus the 10-minute protocol target.  

Difficulty remains 125.81T after the recent −1.31% adjustment from 127.48T.  

So:

Hashrate below recent highs: confirmed.
Network functioning normally: confirmed.
Mining-security crisis: no evidence.
Consensus disruption: no evidence.

Security / protocol risk

I found no new Bitcoin Core chain-wide vulnerability, inflation bug, consensus failure or network halt in the last 24 hours.

The Coldcard randomness vulnerability remains the major recent Bitcoin-related security story, but it dates from August 21 and concerns wallet key generation—not Bitcoin consensus. 

Therefore:

Coldcard security failure: confirmed.

Bitcoin itself hacked: false/misleading.

New BTC protocol emergency tonight: none confirmed.


What Changed Since the MIDDAY Report

The most material changes are:

1. BTC actually touched the $80K decision zone. The 24-hour high is now approximately $79,970, but buyers have not yet established acceptance above it. 

2. The derivatives picture is clearer—and healthier than feared. OI has declined to a two-month low while spot price rose, with funding around normal bullish levels rather than obvious euphoria. 

3. Monday ETF data remain incomplete. The current +$1.4M Farside figure must not be interpreted as the final session result.  

4. The dollar recovered today, yet BTC remained near $79K. That suggests Bitcoin is not depending solely on continued dollar weakness. 

Bullish Signals

The strongest bullish signal tonight is the price/OI divergence:

BTC price up while futures open interest falls.

That is materially healthier than a rally fueled by rapidly increasing leverage. 

Other positives are nearly $1.92B of confirmed ETF inflows across the prior five sessions, BTC’s recovery from the weekend $75K–$76K test, Strategy’s new $1.59B flexible cash pool, healthy network operation, and BTC maintaining strength despite today’s modest dollar rebound.  

Bearish / Risk Signals

The biggest risk remains obvious:

$80,000 has rejected BTC again.

The market traded as high as roughly $79,970 but is back around $78.9K. 

That does not constitute a major reversal, but it confirms $80K is real supply/resistance.

Other risks are the enormous ~24% preceding weekly rally, rising implied volatility, Jackson Hole/PCE event risk, incomplete Monday ETF data, and the possibility that spot demand eventually weakens once last week’s forced-short unwinding is fully exhausted. 

Key Levels / Scenarios

$79.97K–$80K — primary resistance. This is now an exact, tested level rather than a theoretical zone.

I want to see:

break above $80K → hold → retest $80K from above → buyers defend.

That would materially strengthen the continuation signal.

Next upside zone:

$82K–$85K

$78K–$78.5K — first support. Holding here after today’s $80K test would keep the setup constructive.

$76.7K–$77K — major intraday support. Today’s 24-hour low is about $76,689. 

$75K–$76K — structural tactical support. Loss would significantly weaken momentum.

$72K–$73K — deeper breakout support.

$69K–$70K — major bull/bear structural line.

Scenario Map

Strong continuation: BTC closes/accepts above $80K, Monday ETF flows eventually confirm another substantial positive session, and OI remains controlled. Target zone shifts toward $82K–$85K.

Healthy consolidation: BTC spends time between $77K and $80K, OI/funding remain controlled, and spot/ETF demand continues. This remains structurally attractive.

Another rejection: BTC fails $80K again but holds $77K–$78K. Still bullish, but breakout delayed.

Warning: BTC loses $76K–$77K and cannot reclaim it.

Deeper correction: $75K fails → $72K–$73K becomes the next likely test.

Major trend warning: sustained loss of $69K–$70K.

Bottom Line — EVENING Bias

Medium-term: BULLISH

Short-term: BULLISH, but $80K remains unconfirmed resistance

My evening weighting is:

80% bullish / 20% caution

I am keeping the midday 80/20 assessment rather than raising it.

The reason is that two opposing pieces of evidence appeared:

Bullish improvement: derivatives structure is healthier than feared—OI is falling while BTC rises, with funding not obviously overheated. 

Reason for caution: BTC reached $79,970 and still failed to establish itself above $80K. 

So tonight’s conclusion is:

The rally looks increasingly spot-supported rather than leverage-dependent, but $80,000 has now proven itself as genuine resistance.

The next decisive evidence is no longer whether BTC can touch $80K—it already did.

It is whether BTC can turn $80K from resistance into support, and whether the final August 24 ETF data confirm that institutions participated in today’s challenge of that level.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bitcoin BTC Intelligence Report: September 29, 2026 Morning Analysis

  Bitcoin recently bounced from an overnight low of approximately $82.5K to recover above $84.2K , successfully defending a critical struct...